List of Ways to Cook Potatoes at Home
Potatoes, I would say, are one of the most easily available and commonly found ingredients and can be turned into various best potato recipes. Can we call it as the king of vegetables? Of course, we can. It is the true example that ugly kinds of stuff can also turn into great things. Hence, here is the list of ways to cook potatoes at home as we have listed down the best and famous Potato recipes which can be easily made at home and enjoyed.
ALSO READ: 10 POPULAR INDIAN VEG DINNER RECIPES
French Fries– The Easy Potato Recipe
One of the easiest and beloved Potato recipe, it is a fan-favourite across the world.
- Slice up the potatoes beforehand and wash them properly. Soak them for a while.
- Heat enough oil for deep fry in a pan and release the potato slices.
- Once done, sprinkle some chaat masala or oregano and enjoy with sauce or mayonnaise.
Aloo Matar– Potato Main Dish Recipe
The main Potato recipe in Indian household, it is very easy to make and goes well with roti, paratha, poori.
- Slice up the potatoes in cubes and boil the potatoes and peas beforehand.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add one bay leaf, a spoon of cumin seeds, half cinnamon, and few cloves.
- Add 1 sliced up onion and saute till its golden.
- Add a spoon of ginger-garlic-green chilies paste. Cook till the raw smell is gone.
- Add 2 chopped tomatoes, and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add a spoon of coriander powder, a spoon of red chili powder, half a spoon of turmeric, half a spoon of cumin powder, and a spoon of garam masala and cook for a while. Notice that the oil leaves the masala. Keep the flame at medium.
- Add the boiled potatoes and peas and salt as per your taste.
- Before serving, add a few Kasuri methi and mix again. You can also simmer for a while. Stir now and then.
Mashed potato – The Perfect Side Dish
- Boil the potatoes beforehand.
- Once done, mash the potatoes with a masher or with your hand.
- Add half a cup of milk, half a cup of melted butter, and half a cup of cream and mix them well. Store it in an air-tight container or wrap with a plastic wrapper and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Bring it to room temperature and add salt (as per taste), black pepper, chili flakes, oregano, and chopped parsley leaves and some melted butter and grate/melted cheese and mix them well. If you want it warm, then heat it up in a micro oven.
Peri-Peri Potato Wedges–Quick Potato Recipe
- Cut the potatoes into wedges and boil them beforehand.
- In a separate bowl, add 2 spoons of garlic powder, half spoon of ginger powder, 2 spoons of red chili powder, half spoon of black salt, a spoon of red chili flakes, half a spoon of oregano (if available), one spoon of onion powder (if available), 2 spoons of amchur powder (dried mango powder), and half a spoon of chaat masala and mix them well.
- Heat some oil in a pan, enough for deep fry. Add the potatoes to the pan and deep fry them. Once done, keep them aside.
- Mix the peri-peri mix with the fried potatoes. Make sure they are coated well.
- Serve with sauce or mayonnaise and sprinkles of lemon juice.
Potato Balls– Best Potato Side Dish
- Boil the potatoes beforehand. Once done, mash them with a masher or with your hand.
- Add salt as per the taste, a spoon of red chili powder, half spoon of garam masala, half spoon of black pepper, chopped coriander leaves, one spoon of amchur or dried mango powder, one spoon of crushed roasted jeera or cumin seeds, one spoon of parsley leaves (if available) and one spoon of crushed roasted ajwain or carom seeds and mix them well.
- Take small amounts and form round balls.
- To enhance the flavor, you can also add grated cheese to the mashed potato mixture or add small cubes of cheese inside every mashed potato balls.
- Heat some oil, enough for deep fry, in a pan, and release the balls. Fry them till they turn golden.
- Serve with sauce or mayonnaise and sprinkle some lemon juice.
- Slice up the potatoes in cubes and wash them properly and soak them for a while beforehand.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add 1 spoon of cumin seeds and 1 spoon of mustard seeds and saute for a while.
- Add one spoon of red chili powder, one spoon of garam masala, one spoon of turmeric powder, and mix all of them.
- Transfer the potato cubes to the pan and sprinkle salt as per taste and mix them well till the potatoes are coated properly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for a while. This will soften the potatoes. Stir now and then. Check whether the potatoes are soft or not.
- Before serving, add some chopped coriander leaves.
- Slice the potatoes into half and boil them beforehand.
- Heat some oil in a pan and one bay leaf, 2 dry red chilies, half spoon of cumin seeds, 2 spoons of ginger-garlic paste, and saute for a while.
- Add 1 big or 2 small sliced onions, 1 big cubed tomato and cook till the onions turn golden and the tomatoes are mushy.
- Then, add one spoon of cumin powder, one spoon of turmeric powder, half spoon of red chili powder, half spoon of garam masala, sugar (as per taste) and mix them well till the oil leaves the masala.
- Add the boiled potatoes and sprinkle salt as per taste.
- Pour a small amount of water to make a thick gravy.
- Place a lid and simmer for a while. Make sure the potatoes do not turn too soft.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
- Slice up the potato pieces and wash them beforehand.
- Transfer the potatoes in a separate bowl, and add 2 spoons of cornflour and coat them.
- Heat some oil, enough for deep fry, in a pan, and release the potatoes. Do not fry so much that they turn into French fries. Once done, keep them aside.
- Again, heat some oil in a pan and add one spoon of grated/finely chopped garlic and saute for a while.
- Add one cubed onion and one cubed bell pepper/capsicum.
- Add half a cup of liquid cornflour (mix cornflour with water), two spoons of chili sauce and tomato sauce, and one spoon of soya sauce and one spoon of vinegar and cook them well.
- Simmer for a while so that the gravy thickens.
- Add the fried potatoes and salt and black pepper as per taste. You can also add some chili flakes/red chili powder. Mix them well.
- If you don’t want to fry the potatoes, you can also boil them.
Aloo Kabli (Bengali Styled Aloo Chaat)
- Cut the potatoes into cubes (for delicious aloo kabli) and boil them beforehand.
- Roast one spoon of cumin seeds, one spoon of coriander seeds, and 2 red chilies and crush them in a mixer or with a rolling pin. Once done, keep it aside.
- Prepare 2-3 spoons of tamarind juice. If you want it sourer, then prepare some more.
- In a separate bowl, add the boiled potatoes, one chopped onion, boiled or raw small red chickpeas or chola or chole, chopped coriander powder, chopped green chilies, chaat masala (as per taste), black salt (as per taste), prepared chili masala, tamarind juice, and mix them well.
Aloo Tikki– A Tasty Potato Recipe
- Boil the potatoes and mash it beforehand.
- In a separate bowl, transfer the mashed potatoes and add chopped green chilies, 2 spoons of lemon juice, 2 spoons of crushed roasted cumin seeds, 2 spoons of chili flakes or red chili powder, chopped coriander leaves. If you want you can also add chopped onions. Once done, cover with a plate and keep it aside for a while.
- Shape the mashed potatoes into that of a Tikki.
- Heat some oil in a pan, enough for deep fry, and release the tikkis one by one. Fry till they turn golden.
- Serve with sauce, or chutney and lemon juice.
These are the list of ways to cook potatoes. Also, these are the best potato recipes to cook at home. Any of you can make with a bunch of ingredients from your kitchen. Also, you can have aloo kabli, potato balls, aloo tikki, etc as snacks. It’s a total package of delicious meals for you all. So, don’t miss it and turn yourself into a good chef by trying these new delicious best potato recipes.
ALSO READ: Simple and Healthy Indian Tofu Recipes